Learn two options for creating scorecards with the new scorecard-visualization component in SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio 1.6.
By reading this article, you will learn how to:
- Configure the scorecard component of SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio 1.6 using other, more generic, data sources such as Universes or SAP HANA as sources of data
- Configure the scorecard component of SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio 1.6 using BW Queries as data sources
Scorecards are a new component in SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio 1.6. As in most dashboarding tools, a scorecard is a pre-packaged way to provide customized graphics tied to how well or badly a company is performing per various metrics. In Design Studio 1.6, this process can be done using two different techniques: a generic technique and a technique that is a little easier but only works with BEx Queries as the source.
SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio is SAP’s newest dashboard-design tool, replacing both BEx Web Application Designer and SAP Dashboards. Version 1.6 of SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio provides a new visualization component of the dashboard.
Before diving in too deeply into this new visualization option for Design Studio, however, I first want to list three disclosures:
- SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio does not build dashboards per se; rather, it builds analysis applications. (This is because SAP has an older tool [that SAP no longer recommends for new customers] that has the name Dashboards.)
- This article is targeted at people who already have a medium-level expertise with Design Studio, so basic navigation paths and options are not discussed.
- Design Studio, as a separate product, is being phased out. The new product (which is still essentially Design Studio) is soon to be merged with the SAP BusinessObjects Lumira product and re-branded as SAP Business Objects Lumira Designer. However, because this change is still in the future (or is just happening as of the publication date of this article, February 2017), I use the original terms and names for these products (e.g., SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio and SAP BusinessObjects Lumira) for clarity.