An Introduction to SAP Data Services on the Cloud
- by Biswajit Biswas, Subject Matter Expert in SAP Analytics, SAP GD
- Virendra K. Soni, SAP Data Services Consultant, SAP
- Sunil Mehta, Solution Architect, SAP
- September 4, 2015
With the constant changes to business needs and the introduction of new technologies, companies are looking at solutions that reduce infrastructure costs, but still are able to leverage the latest products and technologic innovations. As a result, more companies are moving in the direction of a cloud model. Current trends indicate that more and more companies are investing in cloud-based platforms. In response, SAP has introduced its data migration cloud solution, SAP Data Services on Demand.
Reading this article, you will learn:
- About what SAP Data Services on Demand is (also known as HCI-DS)
- About the architecture of SAP Data Services on Demand
- How to install and configure SAP Data Services on Demand
- An introduction to the different functionalities (tabs) of the SAP Data Services on Demand application
Previously, SAP offered BusinessObjects Data Services (now rebranded simply as SAP Data Services), which was a data-migration and data-validation tool. Now, SAP has released the cloud version of SAP Data Services for migrating data from on-premise systems to SAP cloud systems based on the old BusinessObjects Data Services on-premise tool. This article focuses on the features offered by the cloud SAP Data Services on Demand solution.
SAP Data Services on Demand is a data-migration tool based on the on-premise SAP Data Services 4.2 application. It is a cloud solution used to migrate data from on-premise systems to SAP cloud applications, such as SAP Integrated Business Planning and SuccessFactors, just to name a few.
The following prerequisites are necessary to access and work on SAP Data Services on Demand.
- Prior knowledge about data services data integration.
- Access to the SAP Data Services on Demand web link, which allows users to work on SAP Data Services on Demand.
An Overview of SAP Data Services on Demand
SAP Data Services on Demand gives users extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) capabilities to migrate data from on-premise systems, such as SAP ERP Central Component (ECC) and SAP BW systems, non-SAP systems such as Oracle, DB2, and SQL Server, and flat files to the cloud. To use the SAP Data Services on Demand tool, companies have to have the SAP Data Services on Demand agent software installed on their on-premise systems. This agent acts as a connector to this web-based tool and does the tunneling work. It also has the following capabilities:
- It is a bi-directional process and it offers data integration. The data flow can be bi-directional in nature (i.e., not only can data be migrated from on premise to the cloud, but data can be pulled from the cloud and pushed on premise on an as-needed basis).
- It offers graphical flows and mappings.
- It has centralized monitoring and administration capabilities.
- It has pre-built adapters built in.
- It offers lightweight installations.
Would you like to see this full item?