Asset Migration with SAP S/4HANA Finance
- by Noorul Q. Khan, Consultant, SAP India
- May 20, 2016
With S/4HANA learn how to use new transaction codes to complete asset migration either manually via transaction code ABLDT or automatically using a Business Application Programming Interface (BAPI).
After reading this article, you’ll know how to:
- Migrate assets manually with SAP S/4HANA Finance
- Migrate assets automatically with SAP S/4HANA Finance
- Adopt the existing Business Application Programming Interface (BAPI)
A new design in SAP S/4HANA Finance enables reconciliation between Asset Accounting (FI-AA) and the SAP General Ledger. To reinforce this, SAP has changed the existing process for asset migration. The changed process updates both the FI-AA sub-ledger and the SAP General Ledger at the same time. Therefore, with S/4HANA Finance, as soon as the takeover values are updated in the FI-AA sub-ledger, a financial entry to that effect occurs in the SAP General Ledger automatically
With S/4HANA Finance, sub-ledger-specific Asset Accounting (FI-AA) tables have been abolished. It is no longer possible to handle the general ledger and the asset subledger separately during the legacy data transfer. While the takeover values for each fixed asset were, in the past were written directly to the subledger-specific tables (e.g., ANLC) with no direct integration with the general ledger (G/L), you must now post the takeover values against a transfer G/L account as a transfer document.
Before SAP S/4HANA Finance, asset migration consisted of two steps:
- Upload asset master and balances in the FI-AA sub-ledger via transaction code AS91.
- Upload a journal entry to the SAP General Ledger.
From a process point of view, the SAP S/4HANA Finance process for cutover is similar to the original process.
In this article, I focus specifically on the manual and automatic approach of uploading asset data. I also cover the relevant transaction, process, and necessary configuration for legacy asset data transfer.
Manual and Automatic Asset Migration with SAP S/4HANA Finance
With SAP S/4HANA Finance, the process of asset migration is as follows (Figure 1):
- Manually: Create an asset master via transaction code AS91 and then upload the takeover values via a new transaction code, ABLDT
- Automatically: Via a Business Application Programming Interface (BAPI)
Asset data upload options
Would you like to see this full item?