Enhance Return on Investment by Customizing SuccessFactors Employee Central Using the Metadata Framework
- by Atul Bakliwal, Service Delivery Leader for SuccessFactors/SAP HR, IBM India
- Riishi Riitambhar, Technical/Functional Consultant
- April 27, 2016
Learn how to use the features of the Metadata Framework in SuccessFactors Employee Central for customizing. Using these features, you can create custom objects, screens, and user interfaces; integrate processes; store data; and assign role-based permissions. Also learn how to enhance complex business rules, workflows, and validations for the data being added or stored.
Reading the article, you will learn how to:
- Extend the Metadata Framework functionality of SuccessFactors
- Create different type of simple objects
- Associate these objects with employee files
The Metadata Framework functionality in SuccessFactors provides a set of useful features that enable organizations to build end-to-end applications to meet company-specific needs and realize a better return on investment. However, there is a restriction on the number of Metadata Framework objects that companies can create. It ranges between 25 to 75 objects depending on the edition of the software.
There is always a need in any HRMS system to provide options for storing company-specific information and a workflow-based approval mechanism to support it. Company-specific instructions and warnings are two examples of information that need workflow-based approvals and, once reviewed and approved, this information needs to be displayed to the employees and managers in the system. For example, a warning message would be sent to an employee who has been late three times, saying that the next occurrence of tardiness will result in punitive action—say, docked pay. During workflow, this information is displayed only to the manager—once it’s approved by the manager and the up-line manager, it is made visible to the employee on the portlet.
Another requirement across all HRMS systems is to provide for the storage and display of information that is processed in a system other than the core HRMS system. Two examples are time accounts (absence or quota-related information) and pay slips, if the time or the payroll components are managed in a system other than the core HRMS system.
In both of the above cases there is a need to customize the solution as both vary from one company to another. Similarly, some other related information that is managed by organizations is the language skills of an employee or the need to provide training to update an employee’s work skills or education.
The Metadata Framework in Employee Central provides an option to custom develop a solution based on an organization’s needs for both the above scenarios, and can be expanded to meet other similar requirements.
These enhanced features of the Metadata Framework allow you to:
- Create custom portlets for enhancing or introducing functionalities not available in the standard product.
- Define business rules, workflows, and validations associated with the new functionality.
- Report on the customized functionality, along with the standard functionality/portlet, using the Online Report Designer (ORD) advanced reporting functionality. (This functionality is discussed in greater detail in the part two of this article.)
Would you like to see this full item?