Automate Data Loading in SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation 7.5
- by Liang Ma, Specialist Master, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- July 28, 2011
Learn a data loading automation solution for SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation, version for SAP NetWeaver. With this solution, business users can start and finish data loading by themselves by clicking a couple of buttons in the SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation client interface and save the loaded data in a different version.
Business Add-Ins (BAdIs) no longer assume a two-level infrastructure (SAP and customer solutions), but instead allow for a multi-level system landscape (such as SAP, country-specific versions, industry solutions, partner, and customer). You can create definitions and implementations of BAdIs at any level of the system landscape.
SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation enables the planning or consolidation process to be driven by business users rather than IT. If financial business processes depend on IT regularly, it can be very time consuming for the IT department and can also create delays for business users. For example:
- Business users finish their monthly closing, but need to inform IT to trigger an SAP NetWeaver BW process chain to start the actual data loading
- Business users need to wait for IT to inform them if the data loading finished successfully, and they can’t start the planning cycle until they hear from them
- Business users want to do another data load with a different version this month, but have to ask if IT is available to do this as an extra request or an IT ticket
With SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation, the business user can initiate the data loading process, independent of IT support, after finishing month-end closing (or whenever they need to refresh source data). They don’t need to understand all kinds of system background jobs and their dependencies, and they shouldn’t need to log in to SAP NetWeaver BW either.
I’ll provide you with an SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation data loading automation solution you can give to these business users that can facilitate this activity. I will explain the solution — suitable for an SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation implementation team — in the following areas:
- Allow business users to start and finish loading data by running just one Data Manager Package from SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation, version for SAP NetWeaver
- Create an SAP NetWeaver BW metachain to run both SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation dimension loading and application loading
- Configure variants for an ABAP program, which is used for running the Data Manager Package in the SAP NetWeaver BW back end
- Call the SAP NetWeaver BW metachain from a customized Data Manager Package
- Use script logic and a customized Business Add-In (BAdI) if special logic needs to be applied and can’t be fulfilled by SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation transformation and conversion files
- Create a customized Data Manager Package with a prompt as a dynamic parameter
- Pass the dynamic parameter to the script logic
- Call a customized BAdI from the script logic for the special logic
This article applies to SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation 7.5 and SAP NetWeaver BW 7.0 systems. It is designed for SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation project managers, and the steps can also be performed by solution architects in other SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation or BI roles.
Would you like to see this full item?