Automate SAP Testing with HP QuickTest Professional
- by Malti Rawat, SAP MM-WM Senior Consultant, Infosys Technologies Ltd.
- Pritam Nath, Technical Test Lead, Infosys Technologies Limited
- March 25, 2011
Most organizations using SAP systems are looking forward to implementing or upgrading key business applications in less time. If these applications are not thoroughly tested before the release, then it can have a huge impact on the business. Under such circumstances test automation using HP QuickTest Professional can help an organization achieve quality objectives within the constraints of schedule and budget.
To ensure a quality product, reduce costs, and meet aggressive delivery schedules, organizations using SAP systems are turning over to automation. HP QuickTest Professional is one such tool that helps automate the complex business scenarios in the SAP system. Once the automation scripts are ready, they can be used at different stages of the testing life cycle for any number of times, thereby increasing the testing accuracy and productivity.
Many organizations are upgrading their SAP systems to integrate their day-to-day business processes. SAP implementations are planned in a phased manner, performing go-lives at different geographical locations, upgrades, patch updates, enhancements, and implementations of new functionalities in the subsequent releases to cater to the ever-changing requirements of business users. Keeping in mind the critical nature of SAP ERP software, it is essential to thoroughly test all changes that move to the production system. This calls for quick regression testing of all the business processes. A large team is not necessarily a permanent solution for such a problem; instead the team has to step toward automating these business processes.
Testing your SAP software includes many challenges, such as:
- Testing all enhancements and modifications made to the standard applications
- Each implementation is unique
- Implementations are geographically dispersed
- Interaction with different legacy systems and applications (including SAP and non-SAP applications)
- Large business processes and areas need to be tested
- Handling the associated risk with testing delays affecting project schedule
- Testing the high volume and variety of data
One general solution for testing your SAP software is by using automation. Benefits of automation include:
- Cover maximum business process under regression testing roof
- Reduce manual effort during execution
- Regression testing cycle is repeated many times during different phases of implementation, such as rollouts or enhancements
- Ensure uniformity in the testing process each time a test is executed
- Reduce cost as compared to manual testing
- Increase delivery confidence and minimize risk of incomplete testing due to less time available
- Accuracy and productivity increase
- Reduce dependency on functional or automation knowledge and a minimum amount of expertise is required from both areas
Would you like to see this full item?