Enable Your Users to Approve or Reject Purchasing Documents from Mobile Devices
- by Fahim Ahmad, Senior ABAP and Workflow Consultant, Descon Engineering Limited
- December 26, 2013
See how to set up communication between Internet Information Services (IIS) and your SAP system using a Remote Function Call (RFC) to enable your users to approve or reject documents remotely.
Reading this article, you will learn how to:
- Enable SAP users to approve or reject purchasing documents from mobile devices
- Set up a connection between Internet Information Services (IIS) and your SAP system
- Create an implicit enhancement
- Create RFC function modules
- Define import, export, and table parameters
The Component Object Model (COM) is an architecture and infrastructure for building extensible component-based software. Remote Function Call (RFC) is the standard SAP interface for communication between SAP systems. RFC calls a function to be executed in a remote system. You can use these technologies for the communication between an SAP system and Internet Information Services (IIS).
You can develop an application in ASP.net that communicates with an SAP application server using Remote Function Call (RFC) functions. This application allows your users to log in to the system from a mobile device and view approvals in process. The user then can approve or reject them. The system is browser based, so it is platform independent and no special installation or configuration is needed to use it.
I describe an overall view of communication between Internet Information Services (IIS) and an SAP application server. I use the SAP RFC Unicode Component object module (COM) for SAP connectivity.
You need the following tools to develop this application:
- Windows 2003/2008 server with an IIS server installed, and IDE .NET 2008 Express Edition
- SAP GUI 7.1 or later with development authorization
Would you like to see this full item?