Learn how to download and install BMC AppSight for SAP Client Diagnostics, a tool you can use with SAP Solution Manager Root Cause Analysis. See how this application can play a role in your Root Cause Analysis process, resulting in reduced support costs and faster client-side problem resolution.
End-to-end Root Cause Analysis offers systematic analysis and resolution of incidents for a distributed environment. In early April 2007, BMC AppSight for SAP Client Diagnostics was globally deployed by SAP AG as part of the Solution Support Enablement Package (SEP) extension to SAP Solution Manager. The SEP extension was initially aimed at providing leading-edge multi-technology support for premium support SAP organizations. These days, BMC AppSight for SAP Client Diagnostics is now supplied as a free download with standard maintenance support. You can download the BMC AppSight for SAP Client Diagnostics software from the SAP Service Marketplace.
When a component fails in a complex SAP landscape, the Root Cause Analysis process to identify the offending component can often be very time consuming. In fact, the time taken to perform the following reiterative three-step process normally takes far longer than the actual problem fix (Figure 1):
- Gather problem information and document it
- Recreate the problem scenario and environment
- Analyze the recreated problem to determine its root cause
The Root Cause Analysis iterative process
When performing the Root Cause Analysis process in a complex SAP landscape, you would use one of the following End-to-End Trace Analysis tools integrated into SAP Solution Manager:
- CA Wily Introscope to analyze problems in the J2EE layer
- DBACOCKPIT to analyze problems on the database layer
- Trace analysis using the SAP Client plug-in to analyze functional and component performance issues
- BMC AppSight for SAP Client Diagnostics to analyze problems in the client side