With the release of SAP HANA many organizations are actively planning the migration of their current SAP systems to SAP HANA. Knowing how to configure Solution Manager to monitor their SAP HANA systems is incredibly important, especially as Solution Manager 7.1 is the only option for monitoring SAP HANA. Learn how to configure Solution Manager 7.1 Technical Monitoring for your new SAP HANA databases.
You will learn how:
- To connect SAP HANA to Solution Manager 7.1.
- To configure Solution Manager 7.1 to monitor SAP HANA.
Technical Monitoring is designed to provide alerts on the critical components of your SAP landscape, allowing you to respond quickly to urgent situations that need immediate attention. Alerts are provided on four levels: Host, database, central instance, and dialog instance. The alerts are further divided into four categories: Configuration, availability, performance, and exceptions.
The ability to monitor an SAP system’s database is the key to ensuring the stability and performance of that database. Solution Manager offers a central location to monitor SAP HANA. It also provides key performance, diagnostics, and availability metrics, including the ability to send alerts based on those performance and availability metrics. Beyond technical monitoring Solution Manager also delivers early-watch alerts, root-cause analysis, and database administration tools. Solution Manager is a vital tool provided by SAP that you already have; the next step is to configure Solution Manager with your SAP HANA database.
To successfully implement the instructions contained in this article you must have experience in a few basic areas.
- It is essential to know how to use the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server operating system. Currently it is the only operating system supported to run SAP HANA.
- You must have experience using SAP HANA Studio.
- You must be experienced in using Solution Manager 7.1. In addition, you must understand how the System Landscape Directory (SLD) and the Landscape Management Database (LMDB) work within Solution Manager, as well as understand the process of the managed system configuration and how to set up Technical Monitoring.
- You must also be experienced in installing Solution Manager Diagnostic Agents and Host Agents. They are an integral part of the entire Technical Monitoring infrastructure.
- You also must be adept at installing SAP Notes. There are a number of required SAP Notes for both SAP HANA and Solution Manager 7.1.