Learn how to develop an Internet of Things (IoT) application that fetches data from a sensor and saves it on an SAP HANA database on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
By reading the article you will be able to:
- Gain an understanding of the basic and advanced architecture of SAP HANA Cloud Platform for the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Enable IoT services and install the Message Management Services
- Create a device, device type, and message type on SAP HANA Cloud Platform
- Test SAP HANA Cloud Platform for the IoT URL through the Postman client
- Consume SAP HANA Cloud Platform for the IoT URL on an external application
SAP HANA Cloud Platform is a platform for extending, integrating, and building new applications. It provides design templates and prebuilt applications that have responsive user interfaces that help to expedite the development process for developers. SAP HANA Cloud Platform provides many services, with one of them being the Internet of Things (IoT). SAP HANA Cloud Platform for the IoT helps you to build real-time applications from sensor feeds and perform real-time predictive analysis.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is quickly moving from concept to reality and various enterprises are working toward implementing the concept. A 2016 report by Forrester indicates that 23 percent of enterprises use IoT technology, with another 29 percent planning to do so within 12 months. The initial discussion about billions and billions of devices with a vast amount of data is now over, and it is time to generate value from these connected devices. Some of the concepts that are already implemented by enterprises are:
- Fleet logistic companies monitor the condition and location of their vehicles
- Manufacturing companies manage their remote objects to identify problems early and address them in a timely way
The IoT alone does not suffice. Integration with technology platforms such as SAP HANA Cloud Platform, which stores and shows real-time data to do predictive analytics, is the game changer.