Perform Hazardous Substance Checks by Integrating Two SAP Systems
- by Rajen Iyer, Cofounder and CTO, Krypt, Inc.
- January 15, 2010
Learn how to run hazardous substance checks in SAP Environment, Health, and Safety Management using SAP BusinessObjects Global Trade Services. These checks for hazardous substances help gather information from the logistics system and pass it on to the trade compliance system for early warning, reporting, and appropriate corrective actions. They also help with import and export quantity restrictions, as well as import and export restrictions for products for specific countries of origin.
SAP Environment, Health, and Safety Management (SAP EHS Management) helps companies meet EHS compliance regulations. One piece of functionality enables you to run hazardous substance checks for the items in your SAP EHS Management logistics transactions using SAP BusinessObjects Global Trade Services. When you create a compliance document such as a sales order or delivery note, SAP BusinessObjects Global Trade Services creates an equivalent document in the system and performs a check for hazardous materials in SAP EHS Management.
In the process of manufacturing, assembly, or sourcing from a vendor, companies often deal with hazardous or dangerous goods. It is important to identify these parts or goods for tracking and to perform a compliance check for necessary trade regulatory checks for any import restrictions, export restrictions from a specific country, handling of the goods, and reporting to customs authorities.
To keep track of such information, you can use SAP Environmental, Health, and Safety Management (SAP EHS Management), a part of SAP ERP Central Component (SAP ECC). SAP EHS Management includes several components to handle EHS issues, including:
- Basic Data and Tools: Allows you to centrally manage the specifications for all other components (e.g., hazardous materials and dangerous goods)
- Product Safety: Allows you to manage hazardous substances with material safety sheets and labels
- Hazardous Substance Management: Allows you to manage hazardous material and report to authorities
- Dangerous Goods Management: Allows you to manage dangerous goods within your logistics, with relevant checks and documents to go along with the shipment
- Waste Management: Allows you to manage disposal processes, transportation reporting, distribution of waste, and cost of waste management
- Occupational Health: Allows you to perform health surveillance checks with your company and manage questionnaires that employees fill out
- Industry Hygiene and Safety: Allows you to organize safety and hygiene within your enterprise, manage hazards, and report events that could cause safety issues
I’ll go over elements of this functionality in SAP EHS Management and explain how you can integrate it with SAP BusinessObjects Global Trade Services for performing a hazardous substance check.
Would you like to see this full item?