A Look at Some Enhancements Under the SAP Transportation Management Hood
- by Sanket Kulkarni, Solution Architect, Accenture Services Private Limited
- Rajesh Ray, Senior Managing Consultant and SCM Product Lead, IBM Global Business Services
- July 10, 2015
Learn about major enhancements introduced in SAP Transportation Management (SAP TM) 9.1 that will help in managing transportation process across industries. Find enhanced transportation planning functionality that enables you to efficiently manage truck loads. Find out how functionalities such as the collaboration portal and strategic freight procurement enable close collaboration with your partners. Discover how better integration with SAP core modules facilitates the execution of end-to-end transportation processes.
After reading this article, you will know:
- The major functionalities introduced in SAP Transportation Management (SAP TM) 9.1
- The key features of SAP TM 9.1, such as strategic freight procurement, collaboration portal, and load planning
- The functionalities pertaining to rail, ocean, and parcel industries
- The benefits of enhanced integration with SAP Extended Warehouse Management (SAP EWM), SAP Customer Relationship Management (CRM), SAP Global Trade Services (SAP GTS), and SAP TM
SAP Transportation Management (SAP TM) 9.1 includes features related to industries such as rail, ocean, and parcel transportation. It also includes enhanced integration with peripheral modules, such as SAP Extended Warehouse Management (SAP EWM), ERP, SAP Global Trade Services (SAP GTS), and Customer Relationship Management (CRM).
Before 2012, SAP Transportation Management (SAP TM) supported only core transportation processes for shippers. In 2013, SAP released SAP TM 9.0, which offered a set of features for the freight forwarding industry, such as ocean and air freight management, freight settlement with carriers, and related enhancements to SAP Event Management.
SAP TM 9.1 includes additional enhancements specifically focused on the rail and parcel industries, along with a set of features applicable to the shipper and freight-forwarding industries. This release also brings SAP Extended Warehouse Management (SAP EWM) and SAP Event Management much closer via tighter integration with SAP TM.
New features in SAP TM 9.1 are categorized into these areas:
- Cross-industry functionalities
- Industry-specific solutions
- Enhanced integration
We now discuss some of the key new functionalities introduced in SAP TM 9.1, focusing on key functionalities in each category.
Cross-industry functionalities include strategic freight management, a collaboration portal, load planning (vehicle scheduling and routing), and capacity management.
Strategic Freight Management
Strategic freight management includes procuring and selling freight. The functionality of freight procurement only involves managing freight contracts with a carrier for ocean, air, or road transportation for a specific trade lane and commodity combination.
Would you like to see this full item?