Manage Your Purchases with Configurable Products
- by Gaetano Altavilla, Senior SAP Solutions Architect, Instructor, Project Manager, and Team Leader
- July 28, 2015
Learn about the processes involved in purchasing using configurable products. Get details about the master data to be maintained in the system along with the main customizing settings available for this solution.
Reading this article, you will learn how to:
- Model value-dependent pricing in materials management
- Prepare master data for configurable products, characteristics and classes, and condition records via a purchasing information record.
- Process transactional documents for configurable products, purchasing requisitions, purchase orders, good receipts and logistic invoice verification
- Configuration required to purchase configurable products
Configurable products are useful when a company needs to purchase, manufacture, or sell numerous combinations of parts that form a product.
The main benefits of having configurable products are the following:
- Drastically reduction of master data maintenance
- Workload reduction
- Storage costs reduction
- Maintain every possible end product variant
During the pre-cutover and realization phases of a configurable product project, you need to check that all purchasing settings have been transported correctly. I explain how to write a procedure for pricing and assignment to a configuration profile for a configurable material. This complete description of a purchasing cycle using configurable products lets you replicate these concepts in your own SAP environment. In addition, the integration aspects with other major SAP logistics modules are covered.
In this article, I use as a configurable product a crate for a pump and for its characteristics, a different type of crate (such as cardboard, wood, metal, and plastic).I describe two types of business activities: master data preparation and transactional processes.
Would you like to see this full item?